21 May 2012

Deadlocked - Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse #12)

{YES, I've listened to this book on audio and YES this post contains spoilers, as I am reviewing a book!! LOL! may contain questionable language, discretion is advised! Excerpt below from Good Reads.}





Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse #12)

Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse #12)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·   rating details  ·  7,350 ratings  ·  1,849 reviews
With Felipe de Castro, the Vampire King of Louisiana (and Arkansas and Nevada), in town, it’s the worst possible time for a body to show up in Eric Northman’s front yard—especially the body of a woman whose blood he just drank.
Now, it’s up to Sookie and Bill, the official Area Five investigator, to solve the murder. Sookie thinks that, at least this time, the dead girl’s fate has nothing to do with her. But she is wrong. She has an enemy, one far more devious than she would ever suspect, who’s out to make Sookie’s world come crashing down.






























Well, I finished the above book last night... so here I am with a rousing review! First off, I have to tell you why I personally think this book isn't getting very high reviews. These are just my opinions of course- so here it goes! LOL! :P

So, here is the 12th installment of the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris, narrated by the lovely Johanna Parker. It's been a while since I've listened to a Sookie book, so the narrators voice was familiar and enjoyable. The book started out fairly slowly, and well... continued to drag on through however many chapters- I really honestly don't recall and it was last night that I finished the book! LOL! It seemed a very short listen, I generally listen every night before bed, about 15 mins to maybe an hour if it's a really good book, and on the weekends while doing chores like the dishes, sweeping, laundry, cleaning out the toilets; you get my drift! ;) Well aside from giving this book a listen every night before bed and about 5 hours total on Sunday, it just really felt like a very short book. It left me feeling kind of unfulfilled as well, even though there was the plot/drama and whatnot, I just was put off by the abrupt ending. Like someone was standing there with a stop watch as Harris was writing the book and said ERRRRRRRRRRRRRR TIME'S UP!!! PUT YOUR PENCIL'S DOWN! (she probably types her books anyways, but whatev... you get what I'm sayin!) and she just stopped writing. I was expecting another chapter... something... there WAS a "conclusion", the dramatic situation had been all cleared up and whatever, but then it was just all so strange how she ended it. I think others will agree with me too on the ending, how utterly bland and wonky it just felt. There was little to no relationship building or any real "growing", quite the opposite actually. And it left me really itching to watch me some True Blood on HBO which starts second week in June. The show is soooo loosely based on the books that it is getting easier and more enjoyable to watch since I'm actually now able to SEE the complete difference between the two. I half expected them to be very very similar (the books and the show) because well... they really were the first season of the show, but now things have just gone completely wacky on the show, and there's characters and stuff on the show that are no where in the book, so it's just kind of exciting and interesting to watch now! So yeah, back to the book! LOL! Just yeah... one word I would use to sum it all up is LACKING. Even though I loved the narrator and the book brought back familiar scenes and characters which was extremely enjoyable, the plot and stagnation was just bleh for me. If you are a fan of True Blood, or have read the other Sookie books, I would NOT pass this one up based on the blah reviews. I would give it a go because you owe it to yourself to continue the legacy that is Sookie Stackhouse!


Stars I give this book:
★★★ = Meh.








No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Attn: Blog Reviewers!

Not happy w/ your current blog graphics/layout? Need a fresh start for the new year? Need somewhere that is totally "YOU"? Don't settle for sub-par blog designs! I'd love to makeover your book review blog! Check out my services:

Designs by Sarah Custom Services