23 June 2012

Kiss the Dead by Laurell K Hamilton

{YES, I've listened to this book on audio and YES this post contains spoilers, as I am reviewing a book!! LOL! may contain questionable language, discretion is advised! Excerpt below from Good Reads.}

Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #21)

Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #21)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·   rating details  ·  1,608 ratings  ·  417 reviews
When a fifteen-year-old girl is abducted by vampires, it’s up to U.S. Marshal Anita Blake to find her. And when she does, she’s faced with something she’s never seen before: a terrifyingly ordinary group of people—kids, grandparents, soccer moms—all recently turned and willing to die to avoid serving a master. And where there’s one martyr, there will be more…

But even vampires have monsters that they’re afraid of. And Anita is one of them…





























I have to admit, when I was done with Hit List (her book PRIOR to this one), I realllllly did not have that sense of WOW like I had with all the other Anita Blake books. I'm a HUGE LKH fan. I have to just come out and say it! About 2 yrs ago, an internet buddy of mine turned me onto the Anita Blake series and I devoured each audiobook one right after the other, then I had a lonnnnng wait for Hit List. I was very disappointed in Hit List (her book before Kiss the Dead). It was just meh for me. There just wasn't enough meat on the bones of that book and I finished it with an empty feeling and thought the last chapter was corny as hell! (sorry LKH!) So when I got Kiss the Dead, I was a little wary... kind of worried... kind of holding my breath, crossing my fingers hoping for the best. I was NOT let down. This book DID it for me! It felt a little rushed, but I think that is because I was used to day after day, month after month of constant Anita Blake in my ear for like seriously 6 months straight when I listened to every single book in the series. I know, I know, generally you aren't really supposed to "read" them that way, but how could I NOT!? And when the freaky orgy shit started happening around the middle of the whole series, I was just hooked (oh my, that makes me sound... of questionable morals doesn't it?! *wink*)!! I love her writing, love her pictures she paints and what I REALLY love is the narrator! Kimberly Alexis has read nearly all of the books in the series save a few towards the beginning (and there is NOTHING worse than plugging right along with your audiobook format series and getting used to the fact that someone's literally speaking TO YOUR EAR DRUMS lol then BAM! the company switches narrators! GAH! That is seriously, THE WORST!) and she is amazing! It almost felt like in the very start of the book she was almost told to "go hard" or to read it like forcefully or whatever, but it felt like it was a little overboard in the forcefulness of her just speaking the words, it was odd... but I got used to it and it all just blended together after she had a few softer scenario's to read. And another thing!!! That hasn't happened in very many other series / books that I really recall, and I'm not sure if it's the writer (don't think so), the publisher... what, but when there is ACTION in the book (and in this one there is TONS! I loved it!) there is music and "sound effects" that start up. I remember back when I listened to some of her older books, when there is gun shot that is being read about, there is ACTUAL gun shot sound in the book, and it echo's through the headphones and it scared the living shit out of me the first time, but wow, does it ever just MAKE the book. Almost like watching a movie, and SOOOOO much easier to imagine in your head. Such a difference than all of the other audiobooks out there. So I'm assuming it's the audiobook publishing company that is in charge of it, so kudo's to them or whomever is in charge of the sound effects and bits of music they put into really intense scene's... it's AH-MAZING! :) I completely loved everything about this book to be quite honest, there wasn't anything I really didn't like. The characters were all the familiar ones I had gotten to know over the course of the whole series (which is extremely long- 21 books) and everything just flowed really nicely. The plot was spot on and the end just had that extra special twist at the end that made me hold my breath!!! Great, great book and I recommend it to anyone who wants a little action, loves LKH & Anita Blake, wants a bit of sex (there was much more in this book than Hit List but not nearly as much as some of her other books, she did a fine job balancing it out in this book I think. I could have gone with a little more, but I'm a shameless hussy... *cough*)- it has the whole nine yards! Loved it!!!


I gave Kiss the Dead : ★★★★★ = Loved it! 


After Kiss the Dead finished up last night on my mp3 player, I popped over to my next one... I'm now a few chapters into and I can not wait to get more into the book, one of my top 5 favorite series EVER :


Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #3)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Attn: Blog Reviewers!

Not happy w/ your current blog graphics/layout? Need a fresh start for the new year? Need somewhere that is totally "YOU"? Don't settle for sub-par blog designs! I'd love to makeover your book review blog! Check out my services:

Designs by Sarah Custom Services