08 December 2012

Sweet Surrender by Maya Banks

{YES, I've listened to this book on audio and YES this post contains spoilers, as I am reviewing a book!! LOL! may contain questionable language, discretion is advised! Excerpt below from Good Reads.}





Sweet Surrender (Sweet, #1)
Read
didn't like it it was ok liked it (my current rating) really liked it it was amazing
View a preview of this book online

Sweet Surrender (Sweet #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  4,962 ratings  ·  288 reviews
Under Faith Malone's deceptively soft exterior lies a woman who knows exactly what she wants: a strong man who'll take without asking - because she's willing to give him everything...

Dallas cop Gray Montgomery is on a mission: find the guy who killed his partner and bring him to justice. So far, he's found a link between the killer and Faith - and if Gray has to get close to her to catch the killer, so be it.

Faith is sweet and feminine, everything Gray wants and desires in a woman, but he suspects she's playing games. No way would she allow a man to call the shots in their relationship. Or would she?

Faith sees in Gray the strong, dominant man she needs, but he seems determined to keep her at a distance. So she takes matters into her own hands to prove to him it's no game she's playing. She's willing to surrender to the right man. Gray would like to be that man. But catching his partner's killer has to be his first priority - until Faith is threatened and Gray realizes he will do anything to protect her...

























Hello again, followers! I'm back with my review of the above book- Sweet Surrender by Maya Banks, narrated by Caroline Wintour. Now... this particular book is one of those books where, if you are an audiobook fanatic like I am, then you'll understand this- but the reader kinda sorta ruined the book for me. There are just those books out there are like this, at least for me. At times I can look past it, and I can get over it but this one was a little harder to do that with. Even up to the very last WORD, it was overly dramatic and left me muttering "cheesy" as I turned off my mp3 player. *sigh* Sad but true! *slow nod* Caroline Wintour made the main character Faith appear kind of brainless and air headed with the way she did her voice, it was very breathy and overly soft and I'm unimpressed to learn that she reads all of the books in the series so far- bleh! I dunno, it's kinda hard to explain unless you actually listen to the book like I did. *shrug* I did enjoy the main male character Gray, and I also enjoyed the other male characters that were introduced along the way- especially Damon! heheh! The plot was vaguely interesting, kept my attention fairly well but boy was it slow starting. The author did the whole "sexual tension" thing a little too long I think. Like Gray tried to stick to his main objective as to why he was inserting himself into Faith's life, and he did pretty well trying to give Faith the impression he wasn't interested, but then it got weird and strange with her interest in "trying to find a dominant male" and she ended up at The House (which Damon owns) and Gray had followed her there... and it was just odd and I was like WTF? How did we get here? I dunno what could have been changed, or written differently- probably nothing, but it was just OK for me. Nothing in it blew me away, the characters didn't stand out in any particular way aside from her fellow co-worker Micah and the owner of The House, Damon. So anyway, aside from it being just OK for me, it had some steamy scenes, once it DID get started! I've listened to more intense scene's in books, and I've listened to much more tame content as well, so this falls somewhere right in the middle for me. And just as quickly as the book heated up and the plot was starting to pick up, the book kinda snowballed quickly towards the end, and it was over! So, IDK, exactly how I feel about this book being all that amazing, it certainly can't compare to some I've listened to in the past, but it held it's own and it tried pretty hard to be awesome. LOL! I'm going to start up book 2 tonight, which I've been told by a very good friend (who suggested the series in the first place) is steamy and oh-so awesome! I can't wait! :)





This book for me, got this many stars:



This one's next:





No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Attn: Blog Reviewers!

Not happy w/ your current blog graphics/layout? Need a fresh start for the new year? Need somewhere that is totally "YOU"? Don't settle for sub-par blog designs! I'd love to makeover your book review blog! Check out my services:

Designs by Sarah Custom Services