24 May 2013

Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse #13) by Charlaine Harris

{YES, I've listened to this book on audio and YES this post contains spoilers, as I am reviewing a book!! LOL! may contain questionable language, discretion is advised! Excerpt below from Good Reads.}


Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse #13)

There are secrets in the town of Bon Temps, ones that threaten those closest to Sookie—and could destroy her heart...
Sookie Stackhouse finds it easy to turn down the request of former barmaid Arlene when she wants her job back at Merlotte’s. After all, Arlene tried to have Sookie killed. But her relationship with Eric Northman is not so clearcut. He and his vampires are keeping their distance…and a cold silence. And when Sookie learns the reason why, she is devastated.
Then a shocking murder rocks Bon Temps, and Sookie is arrested for the crime.
But the evidence against Sookie is weak, and she makes bail. Investigating the killing, she’ll learn that what passes for truth in Bon Temps is only a convenient lie. What passes for justice is more spilled blood. And what passes for love is never enough...



















Hello all! *waves* I'm back with my review of the final book in the Sookie Stackhouse series; Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris... read to moi by Johanna Parker. Parker read all of the other books in the series, which I've listened to, so her voice was familiar and friendly, which is nice... but this book, like the last one, was a snore-fest! Sadly! Being it the very last book in a 13 book series, you'd think Harris would have wanted to go out with a bang, but unfortunately, this book was not bang-worthy! LOL! I recall the last book giving me this same sort of feeling, so I wasn't surprised and felt sort of obligated to listen to this final book even though I really had no desire to do so... like I said; obligation! Everything was familiar, all the characters, the reading voice, the surroundings and everything else, it was just really flat. It was a 'who done it' plot, which we were kind of privy to the "bad guy(s)" and why's from the beginning of the book when it started out in a different POV than the rest of the books in this series (they are all in Sookie's POV) and honestly, when the book first started, I thought I had loaded on a different book! I kept saying WTF is going on!? LOL! It was very confusing at first, but you kind of had to trudge along and get through it, then the book shifted into Sookie's perspective and it flowed along that way until a few other perspective shifts back and forth. Very different and strange. It had been a while since I read a Sookie book, so the over-all plot was kinda fuzzy to me, I mean I recall the characters, recall them being in Bon Temps and whatnot, but where everyone was really, I just couldn't recall, but luckily, the plot did a fancy little "reminding" the reader/listener of sort of 'where we left off', which was helpful because I was a little forgetful! And... not to mention the fact that every time a character came onto the scene I would envision the True Blood actors lol! That never bodes well, when you have a tv series (VERY LOOSELY) based off a book series and you think of the tv actors/characters while reading/listening to the book! LOL! So yeah. Glad the series is over, and I'd have to honestly say the book were real good up until around book 6 or 7, after that, meh!

I gave this final book:


And I think I'll be starting this series next:

Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)











No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Attn: Blog Reviewers!

Not happy w/ your current blog graphics/layout? Need a fresh start for the new year? Need somewhere that is totally "YOU"? Don't settle for sub-par blog designs! I'd love to makeover your book review blog! Check out my services:

Designs by Sarah Custom Services