24 August 2013

Cloak & Silence (The League #6) by Sherrilyn Kenyon


Cloak & Silence (The League, #6)




One of the fiercest soldiers the Phrixians have ever produced, Maris Sulle has been an outsider the whole of his life. He grew up with a secret that cost him everything- His birthright, his family and his military career. In all his life, he’s only had one love and he has sacrificed his own happiness to see his best friend reunited with the woman he loves. But now that his good deed is done, he feels lost and adrift. Even though they do their best to include him in their new family, he’s once again on the outside looking in.
Ture has spent his life hiding from everyone around him while trying desperately to fit in. His family, the world, you name it. Badly hurt by everyone he’s ever known, he trusts no one except his own best friend. And honestly, he can’t understand why he trusts her. Nor can he believe her when she describes a loyalty between friends the likes of which he’s never seen.
But when he is in his darkest hour, he’s saved by a hero he thought only existed in novels. A man who is every bit as scarred and mistrusting as he is. One who has no interest in being dragged into another relationship with anyone.
Having spent his life as a living study of doomed relationships, Maris is well aware of the courtship and fiasco that invariably follows. Still, there is something about Ture he can’t resist. Something that won’t let him walk away when he knows he should.
But when old enemies return to threaten them both, they either have to stand together or die alone.


Hi all! I'm back quick my review of the 6th book in The League series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. It's been a while since I've had the pleasure of listening to a Kenyon book, and this one didn't let me down one bit. Even though it was a "novella", or only about 6 or so hours via audio, it was nonetheless, one of my favorites of hers, EVER! :) This one was about Maris and Ture, who happen to be both males, and obviously, gay. I haven't listened to too many male on male books before, but this one was great. The whole 'gay sex' thing doesn't bother me AT ALL (maybe... the opposite? mmm? *eg*) so that didn't phase me... what phased me was knowing the audio release of this was considered late/not on schedule particularly, because the reader- Holter Graham has relapsed in his battle against cancer. I knew this, because I follow Kenyon on Facebook and she had mentioned it briefly, with nothing but love and respect towards the matter. So, I KNEW beforehand, Graham's situation to an extent. But I didn't think it would really impact me as much as it has, to be honest with you. The very last 20-30 mins of this book, I got on an googled his battle and read through his blog, and wow. The man is a trooper, and literally ONE of the BEST audiobook readers that I've ever had the pleasure of hearing! I've listened to many, many books read by Holter Graham and just love his voice! And you can really tell the struggles that he's going through (I wasn't aware of how severely he was battling until I read his blog) by listening to this book. He reads... differently. You can hear it in his voice, that he's going through a lot, physically and emotionally. He used the same tones and voices he's used in the past with her books, but it was just DIFFERENT. Not bad, different, not good different, just DIFFERENT. This touches me deeply because earlier this year my father in law was diagnosed with bladder cancer and I've watched the small struggles he's gone through (Holter mentions in his blog about a chemo treatment that makes his tongue slough off the dead cells and it's just a horrible, nasty icky thing... my my FIL is going through the same thing right now, and has described it to me in detail, it's just... eww! poor guy!) and continue to watch him battle cancer, and it just reminds me that not everyone has it as seemingly easy as my FIL has it. He's still pretty active and is LIVING semi-okay. Holter just seems like he's struggling a lot from reading his blog and the compassion I feel for him through this is just overwhelming! It's all very touching and even though this has nothing to do with the plot of the book LOL, it's just something I really feel compelled to add to my review! LOL! I sincerely wish Holter all the best and a speedy recovery and I really really hope that isn't the last book that I hear, being read by him! :( His lovely voice and everything he adds to the characters, no matter the writer, is just beyond compare! He makes the books what they are, for me. Kenyon is an outstanding writer, and I totally love her regardless, but Holter REALLY makes her books on audio worth while. :)


This book and HOLTER GRAHAM himself, deserve a million stars, but to be fair:

Not sure what's next... see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Attn: Blog Reviewers!

Not happy w/ your current blog graphics/layout? Need a fresh start for the new year? Need somewhere that is totally "YOU"? Don't settle for sub-par blog designs! I'd love to makeover your book review blog! Check out my services:

Designs by Sarah Custom Services