22 January 2013

Darkness Dawns (Immortal Guardians #1) by Dianne Duvall

{YES, I've listened to this book on audio and YES this post contains spoilers, as I am reviewing a book!! LOL! may contain questionable language, discretion is advised! Excerpt below from Good Reads.}



Darkness Dawns (Immortal Guardians, #1)
 
Read
didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing
View a preview of this book online

Darkness Dawns (Immortal Guardians #1)

by 
4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·   rating details  ·  3,116 ratings  ·  412 reviews
In this dazzling, sensual novel, Dianne Duvall beckons readers into a world of vampires, immortals, and humans with extraordinary gifts…where passion can last forever, if you’re willing to pay the price…

Once, Sarah Bingham’s biggest challenge was making her students pay attention in class. Now, after rescuing a wounded stranger, she’s landed in the middle of a battle between corrupt vampires and powerful immortals who also need blood to survive. Roland Warbrook is the most compelling man Sarah has ever laid hands on. But his desire for her is mingled with a hunger he can barely control…

In his nine centuries of immortal existence, no woman has tempted Roland as much as Sarah. But asking her to love him is impossible—when it means forfeiting the world she’s always known, and the life he would do anything to protect























Sooo.... hello! Here I am with my review of the above book- Darkness Dawns, which is the first book in Dianne Duvall's Immortal Guardians Series. AND, much to my chagrin, this was read by the loverly Kirsten Potter (whom, if you do not recall, just read to me the Shadowdwellers series by Jacquelyn Frank!!) so that was a super added bonus! So! This book was kinda sorta OK for me. It didn't blow me away in any way, shape or form, but it was a decent little listen. I'm not sure where the writing of this book falls in the timeline of Duvall's writing experience, but it felt a little newbie to me. Not that it was her FIRST book, by any means, but that there were a few repetitive phrases and the lack of particular detail kinda made me long for "more"! LOL! I really enjoyed going online the side plots though! The mystery of the "mysterious girl" is really intriguing me, and I hope to hear more about her in future books, for sure! It almost caught and held my interest MORE than the main plot of Sarah and Roland (gah, that's a terrible name, sorry!), to be honest! I enjoyed the character of Sarah for sure, she was just a normal, typical female sorta/kinda heroine and paired with Roland., it was a pretty okay coupling. Roland was a little bit of an over dramatic baby though. LOL! There wasn't anything "bad ass and vampiric" about him really, and his "restraint" he held onto whilst in the throws of passion with Sarah to not bite her was a little interesting, because if I was a vampire dude and all hopped up on sex and candy, I would probably have bit her! ha! Anyway, I think my giving the book 4 stars was probably a little generous, it was more like 3.5 or maybe stretching it; 3.75! *shrug* IDK! This book happens to be the first book in the last of my last sequels listed on the 'sequel challenge' that I'm partaking in for 2013 (yeah, I'm lame, I only put down two separate sequels...!) and there are only, I think 4 or so books in the series, so I think I may suck it up and get through the other books. I'm sure getting the itch for a good raunchy bdsm book though! (that was for you, Tammy!) So even though I'm so very fond of my paranormal and my sexy smexy in books, I may bounce back and forth with this series, picking up a book or two, then taking a break... I am interested to find out more about "the mysterious girl" from this first book, so I will dive into book 2 tonight (it's loaded on my mp3 player anyway *shrug*) and see how that goes. Oh! and hoping that Kirsten Potter reads the next book ALONG WITH her doing the mouthwateringly fantastic english accent she gave most of the male characters in the book- it's divine! Other than that, it had a slow start and a pretty predictable ending. The "relations" in the book were luke warm, kinda okay, but same words and phrases used to describe, so it got boring after the first 3 times they did it! Overall, it was an OK book. Just that- OK. Nothing more! I'll let you know if the second book WOW's me! ;)

Leaning more towards 3.5... :P



Up next:

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Attn: Blog Reviewers!

Not happy w/ your current blog graphics/layout? Need a fresh start for the new year? Need somewhere that is totally "YOU"? Don't settle for sub-par blog designs! I'd love to makeover your book review blog! Check out my services:

Designs by Sarah Custom Services